Sunday, June 1, 2008

Bay to Breakers 5/18/08

Pre-Race
No better way to start a blog on running in San Francisco (THE CITY) than with this year's Bay to Breakers. This race has something for everyone. There are elites at the front, some local and some international. There are a variety of other folks looking to put in their best effort either racing against others or against their past times. There are also many who enjoy a run or walk across THE CITY on a Sunday. There are centipedes (13 runners tethered together), runners in costumes and (though technically not allowed) runners in nothing at all.

I am a fan of the big-tent view of running. There is room for everyone -- fast or slow, racing flat-out or at a more modest pace, running or walking. Anyone who gets out and does something active should be celebrated. This event puts that philosophy into action.

You can get your race packet mailed to you (for an extra fee) or you can pick it up at the Expo. I opted for the Expo and went on Friday night. As usual, you have to walk through the Expo to get to the area where the race packets are distributed. There was no wait and the process went smoothly. I worked my way back through the Expo. It did not seem as interesting as past Expos.

The race starts at Howard and Beale. I was lucky enough to get sub-seeded this year. The elites, various seeded groups and pledge runners start in corrals at the front of the start area. The instructions say you must enter before 7 AM for the 8 AM start. It does not really matter, but I was there at 7 AM, anyway. Visited with a few people, warmed-up and stretched. I usually see the Mayor looking spiffy and doing interviews at the start area, but not this year.

Just before the start, the dividers between the corrals come down and everyone moves toward the start line. So, aside from the elites, it does not really matter which corral you are in. The race started on time, always a plus.

The Race
Mile 1: Uncomfortable for me. Breathing, cadence, heart rate and muscles are out of sync. It takes the first mile for the body to settle into the pace. The streets are wide and the race opens up early, but you still have to work your way through other runners. In this race you also have to watch not to collide with runners entering the race from the curb. I missed the Elvises standing on the curb at the Moscone Center having a beer. This happens after they have had their two blocks of glory running with the Kenyans at the front of the race. Around a 6:20 pace for the first mile. A little too fast.

Mile 2: I was running with Spiderman for the first couple of miles. He was a pretty popular guy. Spectators were cheering (mostly for Spiderman) and I was starting to settle into a good pace. Right turn at 9th, across Market and onto Hayes. Watch for the street car rails and potholes. The Hayes Street Hill looms ahead. 6:30 pace. Good pace, allows me to start the hill without being overextended.

Mile 3: The Hayes Street Hill is the signature element of this race. Yes, there are costumes, the salmon (running from the finish to the start, against the crowds) and a variety of other unusual goings-on. Forget those, it is the hill. If you are going to run in THE CITY, you have to embrace the hills. The secret of running the Hayes Street Hill is the flat spot at each cross street. It is a brief moment of relief before the next block. Somewhere on the hill, I lost Spiderman. I don't know if he sped ahead or if that face mask finally got the better of him. The crest is one block further than it appears as you are climbing. I should know better, but it got me, again, this year. The crest comes a quarter mile or so before the three mile mark. No matter, I'm not making up any time before the next marker. I am trying to catch my breath and get some spring back in my legs. Left at Divisadero, right at Fell. 7:20 pace up and over the hill. Smooth sailing from here, right?

Mile 4: Mostly along the panhandle of Golden Gate Park. Lots of people on the street and hanging out the front of the buildings along the way. Music blaring from speakers. Various political, social and other issues being promoted. Hey, it is THE CITY. Across Stanyan to JFK. 6:51 pace. If I lost time, this is where it happened. I should have been able to recover from the hill and get back on pace quicker.

Mile 5: Into the main part of Golden Gate Park. Running comfortable and smooth. The park scenery is nice. It rolls a little, but I have run this stretch enough that there are no surprises. 6:30, back on pace.

Mile 6: Running does not get any better than this. Slight downhill for part of this mile. Fully recovered from the hill. Running is smooth, rhythm is good. Everything is in sync. JFK takes a turn to the right. A little better than 6:15. At this point in the race, on this terrain, this pace is fine.

Mile 7: The buffalo are not in the paddock. I miss them. I heard that the park personnel are trying to give the grass a chance to grow before reintroducing the buffalo after a maintenance project. This mile opens like mile six closed: smooth, glorious running. By the end, I am starting to feel the strain. Of course, we are closing-in on the finish. If you haven't left what you've got on the road by this point, its too late. Mile seven is near the windmill, but there is no banner marking this one. Luckily, I happened to see the paint mark on the pavement. 6:20 pace.

The Finish (7.46): OK, I have had enough, this needs to be over. Left turn onto the Great Highway. Ocean on the right. Time to push, but the distance closes way too slow. Watching the clock. If I push, I can break 49 on the race clock. 2:50 for the last stretch. I am suppressing the desire to toss my cookies. Where is the water. Forgot to stop the watch. Did I break 49? Too close to tell.

Post Race
I had planned to go directly from the finish to the Judah train and home. A friend told me that they give out stickers with time and place on the way to the post-race Footstock festival. I head over. 48:56, chip time. Ninth in my age group and 200 overall. I make a round of Footstock, but it is too cold and I leave. I am more interested in the race than the other events and it has been a good morning. Home to a hot shower and a big plate of french toast. There are people on the train at 10 AM with a start on their buzz. They are headed to Bay to Breakers parties. A good number of costumes, too. One guy in nothing but a baby diaper (and I think I am cold?).

Gotta give the race organizers credit. This is a well run race, especially considering its size and the free-for-all that most participants are after. The real-time results are available during the race and full results are posted by the evening. 48:56 chip time, 49:02 gun time, finishing places hold: 9 of 1,657 in my age group and 200 out of 22,452 official finishers. I have been in races where it takes a week for the results to be released. These guys gave me my results minutes after I crossed the line.

Time to rest and recharge.

No comments:

Post a Comment