Sunday, December 6, 2009

2009 In Review: What's On the iPod?

Working Hard and Going Nowhere
I do about half of my training on a treadmill in the fitness room of the building where I live.  Treadmills are B O R I N G.  During the week, I usually run in the evening, after work.  At first, I was listening to NPR.  It is not enough to keep my attention for a whole workout.  Then I received an iPod as a gift.  I loaded it with music and that was much more successful. 

The first thing I learned is that the music needs to be loud with a strong beat.  I like classical music, but it does not cut it on the treadmill.  So, for me, that means classic rock and blues.  As the first of my year-end series, here is what was active on my iPod this year.  This is strictly treadmill music since I do not wear headphones running outdoors or use the iPod at other times.

Rock of the Middle Ages: Best Survivor of a Previous Decade
I have come to the conclusion that the classic rock album that has survived the best is Derek and the Dominos' Layla.  Aside from the title song, it did not get overplayed.  It is long and has good variety.  I can listen to this over and over -- and I did in 2009.  Who's Next is also a great album, but it is too familiar.  I listen to it now and then, but not over and over.  The same with the Hendrix albums.  At my local used record store, I found a copy of Derek and the Dominoes Live at the Fillmore.  This is early 70's performance excess by a band that does not have it together.  I actually like the early 70's excesses and the album that shows how it can be done well by a tight band is the Allman Brothers at the Fillmore East.

Got Live If You Want It
Considering the Allman Brothers and live albums, One Way Out, Live at the Beacon Theatre was my favorite new discovery for this year.  Two disks, some old songs and some new (to me) ones.  Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes on guitars.  Continuing with the new live albums, late in the year it has been Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood Live From Madison Square Garden.  They do a great cover of the Buddy Miles song "Them Changes."  I was listening to the beat on "Forever Man" and realized it is a bit of a disco beat.  This may be only disco song by a classic rock act that is not a complete embarrassment.  Remember Rod Stewart?  I also love the way they adapted the Traffic tune "Glad" to the instrumentation they have.  To show real kahunas, they do the Jimi Hendrix piece "Voodoo Chile."  Not slight return, the real piece.  As Eric points out in a video clip, Steve Winwood is actually on the original.  So, it is part of his catalog.  Two disks, but it does have a few places where it drags.  Still, a big favorite for the year.

Musicianship Over Dazzle
I saw Joe Satriani a few years ago on a bill with Deep Purple.  I decided he is all technique and no music.  Robin Trower is the opposite.  He has the benefit of great technique and musical insight.  He is another performer who I think has survived the passage of time well.  I still enjoy the old albums.  A compilation under the title Day of the Eagle came out last year and it has been in this year's heavy rotation.  For a live album, Living Out of Time has been my favorite.  Trower continues to tour and I have seen him at the Fillmore the last couple of years.  He also continues to put out albums and the new ones are on the iPod, including Seven Moons (with Jack Bruce) and What Lies Beneath (a different approach than his normal style).

That'll Go Over Like a Lead Zeppelin
When it comes to loud, heavy and with a beat there is Led Zeppelin.  I received the Mothership compilation a couple of years ago.  I have most of the individual albums, but the compilation is a nice compact way to hear a variety of Led Zeppelin.  I think it is probably the best music for turning the volume to 11 and distracting myself from the pain of a tempo workout.

The Blues is Just a Blessing from a Long Time Ago
In recent releases of traditional blues, there is Elvin Bishop, The Blues Rolls On.  It includes a great collection of guest artists on various tracks.  My favorites are "Struttin' My Stuff" with Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes and "Keep a Dollar in Your Pocket" with B.B. King.  "Struttin' My Stuff" is more a performance platform than a great song, but the guitar work is impressive.  This album was nominated for a Grammy and could have won if it was not for my other favorite, B.B. King's One Kind Favor.  As one reviewer stated, this is a late career masterpiece.  Another brilliant album produced by T. Bone Burnett.  This is the best album B.B. King has put out in years.  Which is not to say others are not entertaining, but this one is great.  This is the album that won the Grammy, beating out Elvin Bishop.

My First Album Release
Bob Seeger is also a good choice on the treadmill and Live Bullet is my favorite.  This is the first album on which I appear -- in the crowd -- at Cobo Arena.  (My second release is Eric Clapton's One More Car, One More Rider, recorded at Staples Center in Los Angeles.)  The Who's Live At Leeds is arguably the best live rock album ever, but this one has to be on the list.  It also plays better on the treadmill, probably because it has more variety.  It is long, which is helpful for long workouts.  I like Bob Seeger's last release, Face the Promise, but Smokin' O.P.'s is even better for a shorter workout.

Is Contemporary Temporary?
Susan Tedeschi's Back to the River is a good contemporary blues recording.  It was released late last year and I have been playing it all this year.  Like several of the contemporary albums above, it has great guests, like Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall II. 

The Beano Album
Finally, among the old albums I newly discovered in the last few years there is John Mayall's Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton.  These recordings were revolutionary in 1966.  This is the album that presented the rock and blues guitar sound that we know today (a Gibson Les Paul through an overdriven Marshall amp).  As far as I am concerned, everything in blues based rock before Hendrix was simply leading up to him and everything after is derivative.  When it comes to tone, technique and attitude, Eric Clapton in 1966 was as revolutionary.

Offended?  Perplexed?  Inspired?  Hit the comment button and have at it.

2 comments: