Sunday, August 1, 2010

Miscellaneous Events

DSE 1st Annual Donut Dash - 06/04/10

Friday, June 4, was National Donut Day.  Many donut chains, including Krispy Kreme, gave away a free donut.  I love donuts.  DSE organized a fun run from the Brotherhood Way parking lot at Lake Merced to the Krispy Kreme in Daly City.  The run was about 2.4 miles, each way. 

I have had Krispy Kreme doughnuts before, but I think this the first time I have actually been in a Krispy Kreme store.  After looking over the variety in the case, I opted for the trademark glazed donut hot out of the fryer, right after it passed through the curtain of glaze.  It was delicious.  I can understand why people eat these by the dozen.  I stuck to my one free donut, though.  I love donuts and doughnuts equally.

One calorie calculator I used estimated the total 4.8 mile run burned 569 calories for a 150 pound person.  The Krispy Kreme glazed donut is about 200 calories.  So, a net calorie deficit.  Of course, there are the 110 calories from fat, including 3 grams of saturated fat.  Hey, I had one donut and do not plan to make them a cornerstone of my diet.  I love donuts.


DSE Summer Race Series 2010 - Thursday Evenings












The DSE Summer Race Series returned on Thursday, June 10, for 12 weeks.  For me, a 4.5 mile warm-up loop and then a 4.5 mile race loop.  Attendance is up again this year, with attendance at 52, 58, 72, 86, 49, 60 and 66 for the first seven weeks.  I missed week 5 with the stomach flu, but have made the rest, so far.  My times ranged from 28:17 (6:17 pace) in the clear but windy first week to 27:50 (6:11 pace) in the wet, foggy third week.  My goal for this year was to break 28:00, which is a personal record for this course.  As of the third week, I have done it. 

On the left, I am headed to the finish line across the parking lot.  On the right, I am chatting with Steve N. while Max stands-by.  Based on the sunshine, these photos are probably from the first week.

DSE Double Dipsea Race - 06/26/10

The Dipsea Trail is a famous running route between Mill Valley and Stinson Beach in Marin County.  The trail goes over the shoulder of Mount Tamalpais, through the Muir Woods National Monument and includes both state and federal recreation areas.  The Dipsea Race is the oldest cross-country trail race in the country.  The first Dipsea Race was run in 1905.  The race is now so popular, it is hard to get an entry. 

Walt Stack, one of the founders of DSE, put together the first Double Dipsea race in 1970 and the club has run it since.  The Double Dipsea course is 13.7 miles long, with 4,500 feet of total climb.  Since the race is an out and back, there is no net elevation gain or loss.  I volunteered for traffic control at the road and parking lot in the Muir Woods.  You can see my back as I hold a car for a waiving Alex M.  He is a DSE regular and a member of this year's Devil's Slide Track Club.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had a donut in forever. Let's get a donut next time I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob's Donuts on Polk Street. That is the place to go in THE CITY.

    ReplyDelete