Sunday, October 10, 2010

Train[ing] Kept a Rollin'

Leading into the final week before the Humboldt Redwoods Half-Marathon is a good time to review how the fall training is progressing.  The half-marathon will be the first truly objective measure.  After that race I can evaluate my pace and endurance.  This is the second in the training update series.

Recent Events

In the original plan I left open the possibility of running a couple cross country races and the Bridge to Bridge 12K.  As the training started, I did not feel up to any additional load.  Running races would have interfered with my training as I was forced to take rest after each event.  I also felt that I was at high risk for injury.  So, the optional races were jettisoned.

Another part of the plan was to skip the DSE Lake Merced Half-Marathon.  I volunteered for the race to assure that I did not convince myself on race morning that I was feeling great and should run.  You can see me (above) chatting with Mark M. and another runner before the race. 

A full loop of the lake is 4.5 miles.  So, the half-marathon course is two full loops and a final 4.1 mile loop that uses a short cut.  I was the course monitor at the short cut to help the runners stay on the right path at the right time. 

Weekly Progress

Week 11: (9/20 - 9/26) Probably as typical a week as there will be.  Monday was weights and a 5.5M run.  Tuesday had an unexpected work conflict and became a rest day.  Wednesday was a 10M run with 20 minutes of tempo toward the end.  Thursday was a repeat of Monday.  Friday was a rest day.  Saturday was the normal 6M group run in Golden Gate Park and Land's End.  Sunday was 19 miles at Lake Merced

Week 10: (9/27 - 10/3) This week was probably the first time that I started to feel that my recovery was catching up to my training.  The weeknights were the same as Week 11.  Tuesday was the forced rest day this week because a plumbing upgrade for the building had the hot water off all day.  The Saturday group run was moved to Lake Merced because of a music festival that took over Golden Gate Park.  I added extra running before and after the group for a 20 mile long run.  On Sunday, the Bridge to Bridge occupied the Embarcadero and Crissy Field, the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival had Golden Gate Park and a Run/Walk to Beat Colon Cancer had Lake Merced.  So, it was to the fitness room for weights and 6.2M on treadmill.  That made 26.2 miles (the distance of a full marathon) for Saturday and Sunday.

Week 9:  (10/4 - 10/10) The problem when I start feeling good is that I want to do more.  That was my mistake on Tuesday.  Monday was a rest day owing to a work commitment.  Tuesday, I did the normal weights and 5.5M run on the treadmill.  My left foot was feeling a little strange, so I decided to use the elevation on the treadmill to change the angle of the surface and make the run a little more difficult.  I switched between 1% and 2% grades at the normal 8:00 minute training pace.  In the process, I strained my right hamstring where it inserts at the back of the knee.  I felt it all week and decided that a tempo run was too risky.  Wednesday was 9.3M and Thursday was weights and 5.5M.  Friday was rest and Saturday was 6M in Golden Gate Park.  This week got a shorter long run of 15M in recognition of the half-marathon next weekend -- the long run was a tour of sites: Nob Hill, Aquatic Park, Crissy Field, Fort Point, Fisherman's Wharf, Embarcadero, Ferry Building and Ballpark.  I took an extra couple of breaths in front of the Boudin Bakery

Training Elements

Pace: One of the keys to my training workouts is to run the right pace.  I need to keep in mind the purpose of the individual run and keep to the correct pace for it.  If I run too fast I increase injury risk.  If I run too slow, I do not get the full benefit of a workout.  My regular training pace is 8:00.  When I am feeling good, I want to run faster because it is exhilarating.  I need to stifle that and the treadmill is good at enforcing discipline.  The 8:00 minute regular training pace and 6:30 tempo pace come from the tables in Daniels' Running Formula.  Another way of estimating pace is that normal half-marathon pace should be close to tempo pace.  Normal training pace should be about a minute and a half slower.  My times fit nicely with this guideline.  The normal training pace should be comfortable with the ability to carry on a conversation.  Not necessarily long exchanges, but full sentences.  If you can't get the words out because you are breathing too hard, that is too fast for the regular training pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment