Monday, August 15, 2011

The Fall 2011 Schedule

THIS YEAR the fall schedule will be dedicated to the PA/USATF Cross Country Grand Prix series.  With the relentless advance of time and some new runners, the Pamakids may now have enough runners age 50 and over to field a seniors team.  These are shorter races, mostly on trails.  Some people love the trail running and the short distances.  For me, the attraction is team competition over a race series.  Just as the longer race distances moderate the impact of raw speed by recognizing endurance and pacing, a series rewards commitment and consistency. 

The PA Cross Country Grand Prix is ten races at various locations in Northern California plus the championship in The CITY.  A team scores its best five races plus the championship.  I have signed up for six of the ten regular season races.  The final races of the DSE Summer Race Series are August 18 and 25. I will need to balance the conclusion of one series with the opening of the next. The goal is not to get hurt by over racing.
  • The Santa Cruz XC Challenge is August 20 at the University of California Santa Cruz.  It is four miles of fire trails on an undeveloped and partially wooded section of the property.  It is a beautiful run. 
  • The Phil Widener Empire Open is August 27 at Spring Lake Regional Park in Santa Rosa.  It is 3.43 miles around a reservoir lake and through the woods. 
  • The Rebels XC Challenge is a brand new 3.1 mile event on September 3 at a park in Sacramento.  After this race I will skip the Golden Gate Park Open.  The races in The CITY tend to be crowded and are less likely to present good scoring opportunities.
  • The Garin Park XC Challenge is September 24 in Hayward.  Another 3.1 mile run.  I have not run it before, but understand it is one of the less desirable locations.  Hopefully, that produces the silver lining of better scoring opportunities.  After Garin, I will skip the Presidio Challenge.
  • The Willow Hills XC Open is 3.1 miles on October 8 in Folsom.  After that, I will skip two races which will help with recovery from Humboldt (see below).
  • The Ancil Hoffman Challenge ends the regular season with 3.7 miles on November 5 in Sacramento.  I know nothing about it. 
  • The PA Cross Country Championships end the PA season on November 20 in The CITY. 
Monday, September 12 is the opening of registration for the Boston Marathon.  Based on my run at last year's California International Marathon, I have a Boston qualifying time.  With the new registration system for the Boston Marathon, I should not have any trouble registering.  The race is Patriots' Day, Monday, April 16, 2012.  The main field of the race starts in three waves.  I should slot into the first wave at 10:00 a.m.  Assuming I am able to register, Boston will be the spring goal and a sensible lead-up to Boston will be the undercurrent for fall and winter running. 

I will run the Humboldt Redwoods Half Marathon on October 16.  The race takes place at the Humboldt Redwoods State Park through the old growth redwoods in rural Humboldt County.  I ran the race last year and loved it so much I want to do it again.  My support crew will accompany me for the weekend.  At the left, I am finishing last year's race.  Whether I compete at the November 13 Clarksburg Country Run Half Marathon will depend on how cross country is going and how I feel after Humboldt 

December presents a conflict. At the end of the cross country season, the Pamakids are going to the USATF National Club Cross Country Championships in Seattle on December 10. The California International Marathon is the Sunday before, December 4. I cannot do both. Since it is likely I will run Boston, it is likely I will run CIM as a tune-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment